Search This Blog

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Change - The Good, Bad, and Great!

Change - the Good, Bad, and Great!

You've lived in your house for a long, long time.  It is so familiar that when you turn off the lights at night you still know exactly where to find the switches to turn them back on again. You can walk around in the dark and not crash into the furniture and find the bathroom..no problem.  It's the same with your car.  You hop in, the radio has your stations tuned in, the seat is adjusted just the way you like it, the mirrors are exactly in the right spots, and you know how it drives.  In fact, just about everything in our everyday lives works pretty much the same way.  That's why we love familiarity and hate change. It's a hassle and makes us feel really uncomfortable at times. 
     Last week, after much soul searching and a lot of advice from others, I finally decided to make one of those big changes. Several years ago, while moving from  the financial services industry to full time photography, I had to invest  in  a lot of new equipment including cameras, lenses, printers and computers.  Did I say COMPUTERS?  On the advice of several professionals in the know, I bought a PC and with the help of some very good tutors, learned Windows.  All of the operating systems that I've used for the last five years have been in that system and boy did it get comfortable.
     Two weeks ago, late in the evening , Candi called down from her office and said her computer wasn't running.  I tried to get it going but nothing was working and so we called the computer guru to come and see if he could make a repair.  Nothing doing and in the end it was the dreaded news everyone fears..Total crash and burn.  A couple of days later she decided to purchase a new Apple Mac.  It was beautiful, new and exciting and got yours truly thinking about doing the same thing. Dreading a crash myself and on much advice from others in the know, I purchased an Apple too and the familiarity in my photography life ceased the minute it switched on.  I couldn't find the light switch in the dark and the bathroom had moved somewhere else in the house. That uncomfortable feeling of remorse and impending doom was welling up in my gut.  Photoshop was gone.  The little programs I'd developed to help with lighting adjustments, gone.  Mail, internet, windows office, word, gone, gone, vanished!
     Luckily Wayne, my business partner had an Apple and with a lot of patience and persistence helped me through most of it.  We've installed all of the operating systems and except for a few minor glitches are getting back to a bit of normalcy.  I've had to call the Geek Squad a couple of times at two in the morning, but they've done a good job in getting me through a couple of issues as well. Heck, in a few weeks, it will feel just like living my house...familiar.  Click

      

No comments:

Post a Comment